Tuesday, March 13, 2012

UPMUNC, Vagina Monologues, and other news

This semester has really kicked up. Last week we finished UPMUNC (University for Peace Model United Nations Conference) which went very well. I think all the participants felt that the experience was very educational and all of the councils passed at least one resolution. Unexpectedly, my boyfriend who was visiting extended his stay and participated in UPMUNC (I think he learned more than anyone else as he has absolutely no experience with the UN). As a board member, I was very pleased with the success of the event and also very happy for it to come to completion.

I have just had a 4 day break that was much needed.

Now I am back into the swing of things, practicing for the Vagina Monologues, I am performing “The Little Coochi Snorcher that Could” which is a very challenging piece about a Southern women who was sexually abused as a child but found salvation through her experiences with a woman when she was 16 years old. I feel deeply connected to this script with my Southern roots and I look forward to performing it next week.

In other news, I have been accepted to the final interview for Teach for America; this is such an amazing program that I only learned about recently. I previously thought you needed to be an education major to participate in the corps, but they are looking for individuals who are not education majors but fresh out of top undergraduate or graduate programs who are passionate about helping in low-income areas.

I will have the final interview at the end of this month and I hope to travel to Miami to attend it. I am very excited about this opportunity as it is a 2 year teaching job in a low-income area in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment